Sejong Prize Rules and Information
submission deadline June 30, 2012
- Open to all composers regardless of age or nationality.
- First place winners of the previous competitions are not eligible.
- Pieces should be written as duo or trio for piano, violin, and/or cello.
- Playing time must be less than 12 minutes.
- Judges are looking for originality, basic skills (i.e. technique), and Korean themes and expressions.
- The piece must contain elements of traditional Korean melodies. Contestants must use one of the traditional Korean melodies posted on our website. Transcriptions and recordings of the melodies performed by Korean instruments can be found on our list of traditional Korean music.
- Please keep in mind that we are looking for pieces that can strongly convey Korean themes.
- The application should include a short paragraph (up to 500 words) that explains how the Korean theme was expressed in the entry.
- Entry and application form must be sent as email attachments to email@example.com. The subject of the email should be "Sejong Prize". Entries and applications must be sent together or they will not be accepted.
- Entries must be submitted in a PDF (.pdf) or Finale (.mus) format. Printed scores will not be accepted.
- The entrant's name and contact details must not appear on any page of the score. However, file names should include the contestant's name (e.g. JohnSmith.mus)
- Winner $1,500; Honorable Mention (2-3) $200
- Winning entries will be performed and recorded by the Lincoln Trio.
- Any of the winning entries may be subject to the following:
- Publication of music score
- Performance of selected work broadcast over Korean television or radio stations
- Winners will be announced in the Korea Times of Chicago and on our website.
- We reserve the right to use all submitted pieces in future publications of the Sejong Cultural Society with no compensation to the authors.
- We reserve the right to not award any prizes.
- All judges' decisions are final.
Please feel free to email any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.