Sijo Competition Rules and Information
in collaboration with the Korea Institute, Harvard University
Deadline: March 31, 2020 (11:59pm CDT)
Divisions: adult division (age 19 and older) and pre-college division (age 18 and younger*)
* College students who are eighteen at the time of the competition deadline are asked to participate in the adult division.Guidelines:
- Write one sijo in English on a topic of your choice. A title for the sijo is not required.
More information on writing sijo can be found here.
- Participants must participate in their age-appropriate division. Younger participants may not apply to the adult division.
- Entries must be submitted through our website.
- One entry per category per contestant is permitted. (Contestants are permitted one essay and one sijo entry.)
- All entries must be written in English.
- Contestants' names cannot be written in their entries.
- Essay division age limits do not have a lower limit, but the sijo adult division is limited to age 19 and older. If a pre-college student would like to compete in the adult essay division and pre-college sijo division, s/he must create two separate application accounts.
- We reserve the right to use all submitted pieces in future publications of the Sejong Cultural Society with no compensation to the authors.
- We reserve the right to not award any prizes.
- Winners are generally announced by early May. This estimate is subject to change depending on the number of total entries received; a more accurate estimate will be posted on our website soon after the competition deadline.
- Adult division: First ($1,000), Second ($750), Third ($500)
- Pre-college division: First ($500), Second ($400), Third ($300)
- Honorable mention (for both divisions listed above): Friends of Pacific Rim Awards ($50 each)
- Competition winners will be announced in AZALEA: Journal of Korean Literature and Culture, published by the Korea Institute at Harvard University.
- Winners' works may be published in the Korea Times Chicago or the Korean Quarterly.